Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Finally People Who 'Get' It

Can I just say it is finally soo nice to be with a group of woman who "GET" it. I love my friends and family from home to death, but there were times where I could just tell they didn't get it..

I started dating my husband Junior year of college, I was immersed in my studies, very active in my sorority, and my friends were my world. When I started dating Jeff I quickly realized I wanted him to be in my world, and he wanted me in his. Jeff was not the typical college student. He was enlisted in the National Guard, he was a member of the Boston University ROTC program, as well as an active member in his fraternity and keeping up with his studies.  Our quality time together was precious because it was rare. If he wasn't gone one weekend for drill, he was gone the next for a ROTC training. He was up every morning by 5am to drive to BU for PT and I didn't see him, if we were lucky, for dinner. So many special events were missed because of his military obligations. So when he was around obviously we spent every second together. I chose to spend time with him over going to a 'sorority social'...and boy did I get sh*t for that, because they did not get it. Its hard to argue with someone who doesn't live the life we live and the most important thing in their life is getting drunk at a fraternity house. At that time in my life I had something more important, more special in my life, and boy do I not regret a thing. For awhile I was bitter towards some that gave me such a hard time for missing such trivial events, but I realized that they just didn't get it.

Military wives "get it." They realize that your time with your loved one is precious, every single minute you spend together is quality because you never know when that time will be taken away. Sometimes you spend birthdays, Valentines Days, anniversaries, etc alone because he is gone, and you make up for it when you can. Its so nice not having to feel guilty or have to "explain myself" to why I'm spending time with my husband instead of going to some lame bar or party and pretending to enjoy myself.

Amen to those who get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment