Thursday, April 26, 2012

Week 8: Our first scare

8 weeks and 1 day I landed myself in the Emergency Room. To make a long, dramatic story short, I stepped out of my morning shower, blacked out, called sick into work, called Jeff, called Dr., and then had a freak out session.

Jeff came home to drive me to the ER, and I kept trying to calm myself down and not try to think the worst, but I literally could not stop the tears from spilling down my face. What was going on...and was my baby ok.... As you all know the first trimester is the most crucial, and if you were to miscarry chances are you are going to do it within the first 12 weeks. Being my first pregnancy I had no idea what the future held for us and if this was going to be a successful pregnancy or not. In the Army hospital world apparently it is 'protocol' that they will not see you until you are at least 8 weeks pregnant...and your initial appointment is just with an OB Nurse to go over the 'basics.' You aren't even schedule for an ultrasound until 10-12 weeks. INSANE I know. Oh the joys of universal military healthcare. (RARR)

After about 6 hours in the ER, all my bloodtests and other tests came back normal. They then ordered an ultrasound to rule out that it was an ectopic pregnancy. The thought that I could be pregnant...but not really pregnant was way overwhelming to think about. I don't think I really breathed until I saw the perfect little embryo in a perfect spot on the ultrasound machine....and right in the middle was a tiny flickering speck...the heartbeat. Our baby was safe. The doctor was curious to see if we could hear the heartbeat yet...she flicked a switch and immediately we heard the most amazing sound, a perfect, fast little heartbeat. What an incredible moment that was, it truly was a moment we will never forget. The heartbeat of our first little miracle.


Diagnosis: Severe Dehydration from the Pregnancy Plague. 

No comments:

Post a Comment