Thursday, May 24, 2012

Happy 20 Weeks?

So how did I spend Week 20? On bed rest.

Up until now I've been having more back pain then normal, and more then most according to my Dr. due to my small structure. After all our guests left Saturday night from our Gender Reveal Party, I was hungry so I made a bagel. When turning around to grab the peanut butter, I felt an extreme sharp pain go from my spine down to my toes. I tried taking a step and I literally could not move without screaming. I figured I had just moved the wrong way and whatever it was would be fine in the morning. Wrong. I didn't sleep all night and every single movement I made brought tears to my eyes. At 8:30 I woke Jeff up and told him it was time to go to the hospital.

Getting into the car was miserable. Every step was pure misery and by the time I was in Jeff's car I was so tired and in so much pain. A pain I had never felt before. Like 10x more pain then when I shattered my ankle.

I was 99.9% sure it had something to do with my sciatic nerve. I remembered my friend Emily going through something similar so thankfully I had something to ease my mind and go off of.

Once in Labor & Delivery (thats where we have to go if we have any complications) they looked for baby's heartbeat, and it was a strong 158. And let me just say baby girl is going to be SASSY! Right when the nurse put the little doppler on my tummy, baby girl KICKED it, and surprised the nurse, it was soooo funny!!! They then hooked me up to a machine to just make sure I wasn't in early labor, because extreme back pain can be a symptom of it. And then had to give an urine sample to rule out a UTI, which can also be a cause of extreme back pain during pregnancy. Urine came back normal and there was no signs I was in early labor, PHEW.

They did a series of tests and 'manipulations' by moving around my leg in different positions. The diagnosis? Just as we suspected, it was from slight 'damage' to my sciatic nerve and muscle spasms. Its basically from a combination of my small structure, how small I was before I got pregnant and the stress the weight gain has had on my back, the growing of my uterus and the widening of my pelvis. They said it was just a matter of time something like this might happen, and they weren't surprised. They also said it could've been the slightest movement to push it over the edge, aka the turning around to get the peanut butter.

The treatment: Bed rest, heating pad, extra strength Tylenol and a muscle relaxer.

All I can say is OUCHY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment